In class the topic of choice is civil liberties and when, if ever, is it okay to abridge our civil liberties. So we've been discussing perilous times in American and the people who have spoken out against the government or have been robbed of their civil liberties. And this got me thinking. My mind wondered back to little Leslie in 5th grade. I was outside my best friend's house, a block away from my own house. I was just on my way home when 4 guys, who appeared to be in 8th grade, came walking down the street yelling. I turned and stopped to get a better look at these hooligans to maybe figure out why they were causing a disturbance. I saw that three boys were actually beating up a younger kid, in my grade. They were calling him numerous names and the boy was just crying and wailing about trying to find a way out. He got away and started running towards me. He stopped right in front of me, puked and was then caught again by the boys. Out of nowhere, a deeper force inside of me decided to yell, “STOP! YOU’RE HURTING HIM!” It was like I had become a new person who wasn’t scared of the consequences I could face. The boys looked at me for a minute, stunned that I was trying to stand up for the kid. And then they just laughed it off and said to me, “go cry to your mommy about it!” and took the boy further down the street.
Now I know this isn’t exactly standing up for civil rights or liberties, but it was the first time I had ever spoken out against what I knew was wrong. I can’t help but think what I would do if I lived in World War II Germany as a Christian or during the times of Vietnam. Would that same feeling arise inside of me? Would I try and help the Jews or would I join a protest? I really want to believe I would but, I can’t say I would. Would I die for a cause or stay alive knowing I didn’t do anything to stop the injustice I witnessed? What would you do?
No comments:
Post a Comment